Pharmacist Training: COVID-19 Vaccine
Why are we Participating in COVID-19 Vaccinations?
- The country has called out the profession of pharmacy as critical in ending the pandemic. Chancy Drugs has the opportunity to provide a service to our community in its greatest time of need.
- Providing the vaccine is not a “business venture” for our team, it is an opportunity to have a positive impact on our COMMUNITY.
What it is the COVID-19 Vaccine and how does it work?
- MOA: mRNA Vaccine- New type of vaccine that has been studied for quite some time. This vaccine introduces mRNA instruction to produce harmless spike proteins that exist on the outside of the SARS-COV-2 virus. Once these spike proteins are produced, the mRNA degrades quickly and our body created antibodies against those spike proteins once they attach. The full virus structure of the virus is not introduced to the body, like in the flu shot, only the instructions to create the spike proteins.
- 2- dose IM vaccine separated by 28 days-- This range is important to maintain! The second dose will allow for maximum efficacy
- There is no risk of contracting Sars-COV-2 or personal DNA being manipulated by the vaccine.
- The vaccine we will be administering is manufactured by Moderna
How were these vaccines produced so quickly?
- A benefit of mRNA Vaccines is the speed at which it can be developed and manufactured-- instead of developing the antigen and putting that in the vaccine, like for the flu vaccine, an mRNA vaccine places the blueprint for making one piece of a protein that generates the antibodies needed to fight the virus.
- Operation Warp Speed: The process in which the vaccine was funded and developed was sped up with funding from the federal government, but there were NO steps skipped in its testing of safety and efficacy. All phases of drug development that are normally followed were followed by these vaccines, they were simply "moved to the front of the line". >30,000 patients were in the Moderna Phase 3 trial (similar to Shingrix).
Who should Receive the Vaccine? What are the Contraindications?
Testing of safety and efficacy. All phases of drug development that are normally followed were followed by these vaccines, they were simply "moved to the front of the line". >30,000 patients were in the Moderna Phase 3 trial (similar to Shingrix).